Sunday, March 1, 2009

Holy Spirit Retreat

Hey! I'm back from my Holy Spirit Retreat. I think it was the best thing ever that will make my faith stronger with God.

It all started on Friday when we got to the hotel. For the retreat we went to the Embassay Suites Hotel in Bloomington. My pak adult Marne checked us in and we got settled. After awhile we went to our first service and my favorite pastor, Derek Rust talked about the Holy Spirit and what he does and who he is and how he does the things he do. It was very powerful. Then we had our pak time to talk about what kind of gifts the Holy Spirit can bring and which ones we think we have.

On Saturday, yesterday, Derek invited us to have some open prayer time and he invited the Holy Spirit to come. It was amazing! Lots of people started crying, including me. We had the Holy spirit there, but I couldn't feel it as much as other people could. And I prayed to God saying " Why aren't you talking to me? Why can't I hear your voice? Why aren't you giving me this gift I need?" and stuff like that. I didn't feel like he was listening. I had a couple awesome pak adults pray with me other than my normal pak adult. And we asked that I'd find my gift soon and that I could hear God's voice. Later that night I talked to Pastor Derek. And he gave me a hug and I told him "Derek I can't hear him. He's not talking to me. God's not talking to me." And then Derek said, "Bless you." and I cried. Derek was so nice and so understanding. He prayed for me and some of that prayer was in tongues! I couldn't understand what he was saying but I knew God could. And when I heard it I kinda wanted to laugh but I couldn't cause I was crying.
I was really impressed with Derek and God's work that happened Saturday night. Everyone opened to God and that was really cool. Even the guys were crying just as hard. That's really powerful.

Sunday was kind of a wrap up day. Derek had an open mic and he had people share their stories and there was some really nice ones. I wanted to share mine but I couldn't think of an ending to say. I was going to share my whole story and try to say something like "I haven't gotten my gift yet so hopefully I have something to look forward to in the future." But to me that didn't sound right and it sounded really cheesy. But now I regret not going up to the mic. But I know its okay that I didn't. The final time in the service was sad too. But it was so moving.

So after the last service we packed our stuff and left the hotel. But before I did I talked to Derek and I said, "Thanks for everything." and he said ,"Your welcome sweetheart, Good luck with everything". And when he said that I felt like crying again. But I didn't.

Later my dad came and picked me up and we got some tacos and came home.

This was a fun weekend and it changed my life with God in a very good way. I'll try to post more later. About some of the other stuff that happened.

Much Love and God Bless,
Asia Wolff <3 (If u turn your head to the right its supposed to be a heart)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sweetheart, sometimes God shouts at us and sometimes he speaks in a very quiet whisper. A lot of times, I have found I just need to clean my ears out better so I can hear him! Trying to block out the rest of the noice to hear God can be really hard.
Don't worry, when God has something really important to tell you, you will hear his voice loud and clear. You are a young lady with a huge heart that is full of compassion and a love of God. God speaks through you every day. You have a beautiful light that shines in you and that is God's love. Every time you play with the neighbor kids when they are chanting your name, everytime you befriend one of the special ed kids, every time you help a teacher or listen to a friend or help me when I hurt...that is God, shining his light thru you. God uses you to show HIS love to others. That is a beautiful gift and it is *your gift. I love you so sooooooooo much!
Your Mom
God has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with His love.
Romans 5:5
PS, remember when Mrs. Lutz gave you each a block with a word on it at the end of the year. Everyone thought yours would be "leader", but she wrote LOVE with examples of how you give your love to so many. When Jesus came he condenced all those 10 comandments into loving God and loving each other. That shows how important Love is...and that is your gift, love.

Asia Wolff said...

Thanks Mom. :)

DT said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DT said...

My favorite part: "Then dad came and we got some tacos."

Asia - you should absolutely not feel any pressure to experience the Holy Spirit in any particular way. The way I read Paul on the manefestation of the HS in gifts like tongues, it's clear that there are some who overvalue speaking in tongues and some who don't or can't speak in tongues - see 1 Cor 14 (seems he is assuming some don't/can't and he downplays the value of it). He expressly emphasizes why the gift of prophecy (probably better thought of as encouragement, or keeping others focused on God, true to God, like OT prophets did to the kings, and not so much proclaiming that certain things are going to happen in the future) is preferable and more valued than tongues. I don't think any pressure you feel or disappointment you feel is of God, but man-made. We are the ones who want to have a checklist of experiences that can used, like stripes on a soldier's sleeve, to distinguish true belief and a more advanced faith from something else.

You should enjoy the mountaintop experience and trust that God will reveal his will for you in his time and in his own way. Think walk to Emmaus. We are just expected to do our best with what we know and what guidance we do get. God will do the rest, right?

(I re-read after posting the first time and saw some typos, so I deleted and reposted. I'm also sure I missed some.)

Asia Wolff said...

thanks Jeff! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Asia,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Retreat with us. You write very well, very clearly.

Let's see what happens when you are baptized later this year. For some, this is a big event when the Holy Spirit comes into you and seals you into God's family.

The best place to hear God's voice: stay in God's Word and take it in every day. I love you, /s/Dad.

Asia Wolff said...

Thanks Dad :)